Pages

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

This dangerous-looking tool is called....

A mezzaluna: A half-moon knife.

Day told me about a chain of restaurants in Washington and New York called Chop't. We don't have these in Texas yet, so I did some research online and began watching videos on You Tube about chopped salads.

With a mezzaluna you can chop all the vegetables, nuts and fruits at once into small pieces, then mix in the dressing of your choice.

By cutting the vegetables, fruits and nuts into dime-size pieces, you get a wonderfully textured salad, more appealing to me than traditional salads of large leaves and chunks.

Until I ordered this mezzaluna from Amazon, I made a few using a regular knife.  I would go to Trader Joes and buy a "salad kit" and add other ingredients and cup up everything small--or I'd bring home a salad from the Whole Foods salad bar and cut up everything in small pieces.

This kitchen tool makes all that so much easier.  Herbs, cashews, boiled eggs, a leftover strawberry, avocado, kale, beets, celery--imagine the possibilities! 

No comments: