Pages

Monday, June 23, 2014

Thirty Girls, a novel by Susan Minot

This novel is based on a true story--sadly one of many true stories about young children kidnapped by rebels in Uganda.

The book alternates between the stories of the two main characters, Jane and Esther:

"Esther is a precocious Ugandan teenager who is abducted from her Catholic boarding school by Joseph Kony's rebels and, along with twenty-nine of her classmates, forced to witness and commit unspeakable atrocities in the Lord's Resistance Army.  Jane is a sensual, idealistic American writer often waylaid by romantic pleasures who has come to Africa hoping to regain her center after a devastating marriage." (from the flyleaf)

It's not clear whether or not Jane ever realizes her part in helping Esther heal.  Jane is there to write the stories of these girls, but their one personal encounter is profound for Esther.  Jane listens as Esther tells for the first time what has happened to her; Jane listens without judgment, she is careful not to interrupt Esther's story with wise words or advice.  She simply listens, then moves close to Esther to touch her.

Only after telling the story is Esther able to weep and scream and bang her head and her body. She has finally broken the silence imposed on her for years.  "My chest was breaking apart.  A chunk split off and another wave of crying came and when I thought there was no more to break another piece would crack off.  I could not breathe.  I gasped at air...."

Afterwards:  "Then my fist was limp beside my face and it was quiet.  Some time passed, I don't know how long....The boulder in my throat was gone and instead I felt a space open in me.  The space was soft....When I stood up I had a feeling of peace....The sound of everyone talking was like a pretty song.  People were like bells, each one ringing in his or her own special sound...."

"After that day, when I see a person cry I see they are on their way to feeling better."


No comments: