Pages

Friday, June 13, 2014

Today is the Sleep and Read Day














Elena was here for twelve hours yesterday--long enough for us to go to the mall and buy matching blue Crocs and amble around with her in the fire truck stroller you can rent at North Star; long enough for me to make two pies while she napped; long enough for us to meet Freda at the pool--which was Elena's favorite thing.  "Today was a good day!" she said.  It was a wonderful day--and today I'm just going to re-charge my battery.



I loved watching the little kids introducing themselves to each other in the baby pool.  One little guy kept retrieving an octopus and bringing it to Elena.  Is this the new Two Is the New Twelve, or what?

Little kids just walk up to you and say, "Hi, my name is...." and you're instantly friends for five minutes.  Little kids find a grandmother in the baby pool something of a novelty, I think--and they want to show you what they can do, just as they do with their own grandmothers.

I have new chairs on the porch.  "I love your new chairs, Yenna!" she said.  "Pretty!"  Then she looked in my closet, as she always does, just in case there's something for her.  She saw a caftan she'd never seen before.  "Pretty!  Is this new?  Where you got it?"

This morning, my kitchen is strewn with pots and pans and flecks of whipped cream on the back splash and I was awake half the night with Full Moon energy--so I'm ignoring all the things I probably should do and going back to bed with LAMB IN HIS BOSOM, a Pulitzer Prize winning book by Georgia writer, Caroline Miller.  My friend Deb is writing her dissertation on Caroline Miller and Carlene just read the book last week and called to say I should read it.

Then I'm going to go get an onion so I can make Nellie's pasta recipe.  I changed my screensaver to bright yellow and poked around on Facebook where I found some long lost cousins and that's about all I can say for myself this morning--just settling in for a long summer's nap. This Texas heat was broken last night by a nice storm--but knowing SA, we'll return to the sweltering heat by noon.






No comments: