Pages

Friday, August 8, 2014

Today and Yesterday

Today I painted Elena's fingernails and toenails with the only nail polish in the house--Sinful Blue.  For her tiny fingers and toes, I probably could have done a better job with a toothpick.

Today, when I put on my swim suit (or as Elena calls it, a "swim soup"), Nathan told me my arms were jiggly at the top.  He was right.

After our swim, Nathan asked me, "Do you know how to make chocolate milk really good?" and I said I'd give it a try.  I mixed cocoa and sugar and hot water, then poured in what little milk was left, then added ice and put it in the blender to make enough to fill the glass. He drank it politely but said it was a little too puffy.

Today Elena was playing with letter stickers and found a "W."  "Hey, Yenna, Will Pritchett!" she said.  "This says Will Pritchett!"

Today Nathan said he didn't want to go to the pool, but I told him we'd already promised Elena and she was all dressed in her suit.  "I guess I'll take my swim suit in case I change my mind," he said, emptying the swim bag on the floor to find his googles and his water toys. "But the only condition is I'm not wearing sun screen and we can only stay 39 minutes."

Not only did he change his mind, it was as hard to get him out of the pool (after two hours) as it had been to convince him to go.

Today, Elena wanted to punch holes with my hole punchers--fancy ones I bought years ago when I was making collages.  Some of them were hard to press into the paper, even for me.  "They aren't hard for me!" she insisted.  "I will show you, Yenna."

As she put her whole body weight on the fancy hole punchers, I heard echoes of yesterday:  a day 34 years ago when her daddy was the age she is now, playing under the bed:

"Come under here, Mommy!" he said.

"I can't," I said.  "I'm too big."

"I will show you, Mommy," he said.










No comments: