Pages

Sunday, August 24, 2014

The kindness of one stranger

Today I went to the big colorful Central Library and found the books in the series Carlene recommended, The Walk--by Richard Paul Evans.  I went there because they had a copy of my favorite-all-time childhood book, Mama Hattie's Girl, by Lois Lenski, and I wanted to re-read it and see why I loved it so much when I was ten.

As I was checking out, the librarian said there was a note on my card account--that someone had found and turned in my lost car keys from June!  Thank goodness I'd had a library card on my key ring.  I now have my pricey key back in my possession and I'm happy!

Ironically, the books I went for deal a lot with the kindness of strangers--as the main character starts walking from Seattle to Key West shortly after the death of his wife, the loss of his business and his house.  Over and over, kind strangers show up on his walk--just as I discovered they do when I travel solo by car.

It's a little big thing: a stranger taking the time take lost keys to the library.  It's a little big thing that the Landa Library saved them for two months and put a note on my account to let me know--since the phone number they had for me was an old number.









No comments: