Pages

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Two Little Girls At The Rodeo





I don't know these girls.  They look to be about six or seven, sitting on the fence, waiting for the rodeo to start.  I enjoyed watching them last night more than the horses, actually--wondering what they were thinking.

One is holding a horseshoe--tossed her way by her daddy on his horse.  "I collect them," she said.  "I hang them all over my wall."

This is the age when dreams are born--when the smells and tastes and sounds of what you love imprint in your imagination for the rest of your life.

For me, it was the fairground--and to this day I love brightly colored carousels and peanut butter cups.  I don't especially like eating cotton candy--but I like the idea of it.

What were you doing at six or seven?  Were you sitting on a fence watching horses?  Hanging clothes on the line and watching the fabrics flap in the breeze?  Listening to music?  Swimming or riding a bike?  Helping your mama cook?

What were the carefree moments that you try to replicate now that you are a grown up?






No comments: