Pages

Thursday, December 17, 2015

Love....


I'm lucky.  I have the kinds of friends who cheer each other on when we do good things--and let each other off the hook when we don't.

Yesterday, I got this quote from Maya Angelou via text from Pam: "I do not believe a person who does not love himself when he tells me he loves me."  I hadn't read that one before--it's so true, so something to think about!

Pam sent me that to cheer me on to do something in the self-love department, and we talked about it some more this morning when she brought me breakfast tacos.  We decided that we're going to give ourselves more love in the new year: speak up for what we want, take the time to attend to our health and get remedies when maladies show up, buy good bras, say no when we mean no--things like that.

Here's my Christmas story of the day:  I gave Nathan a couple of small toys and a wallet-with-money for Christmas and a big heavy box of tools.  I gave Elena a barn and lots of animals--much more flashy a gift, I noticed, when they were all opened.

I'm sure he'd been hoping for a toy in the heavy box under the tree and his disappointment was obvious, though he tried to hide it.  I could hardly sleep that night and woke up yesterday morning intent on rectifying that choice.  Will said not to bother.  He said Nathan would love the tools after the holidays and that he'd get plenty of toys.

But yesterday, I went to the toy store and bought a Star Wars Lego set and delivered it last night while they were out.  I also took a few books and puzzles from my  house for both of them and scattered them around the house.

He loved it, Will said.  "Yenna is awesome!" Nathan said as he tore into the package this morning.  "She makes Christmas like Easter, hiding things all around the house."

Of course, I like being called awesome!  But what I like even more is that I made him feel special with an unexpected, though delayed, toy on his list.  I want to be among the village that makes him feel as loved as he is.


No comments: