Pages

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Visiting with Mama 'n Them

Carlene and I loved the movie Brooklyn yesterday--a beautiful story about a young Irish immigrant to America in 1952.

Today we saw Spotlight--a disturbing but well-done film about journalists in Boston who exposed the cover-up of pedophile priests.

Carlene has said she's over cooking, but the delicious lunch she made today for Bob, Jocelyn, and me proved otherwise--pork chops and green beans, corn and rice and corn bread. I made dessert--Nabisco Pie, an old favorite from Cochran.  It's one of those childhood-memory comfort foods I can only make in Georgia because no one in San Antonio stocks the original Biscos brand Sugar Wafers.  I could have eaten the whole pie by myself!



Here's my mama (four years before she was my mama) in a photo in her 1944 college (Georgia State College for Women) yearbook, Camelot.  She was the literary editor of the college magazine and Flannery O'Connor was her assistant!


Carlene is in the white sweater, seated; Flannery is the one standing in the corner wearing black.

Before I left Mike's, I completed his 70th birthday present, a collage of two-inch photographs of parts of classic cars--headlights, tail lights, steering wheels, mirrors, etc;



Heading back to Texas on Friday--to see these two little munchkins (and their parents) and their new tree.









No comments: