Pages

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Carrizozo, Santa Fe and Taos

Carlene and I have never had a better trip. The weather, the friendly people, the arts and crafts and food--we're both in love with New Mexico!

Carrizozo (between Riodoso and Santa Fe)  is a small town with lots of painted burros.  I went through Carrizozo three years ago, but didn't stop at the visitor's center.

Gwendolyn, the woman who works there, is a cellist and a poet who just up and moved here from Rome, Georgia, two years ago.  Carlene bought her poetry book and read some of the poems on the way to Santa Fe. She also saw me eying a beautiful turquoise necklace at the Carrizozo gallery and reached right in and got her credit card and bought it for me!

Some photographs in the art gallery
 of the burros painted by the townspeople over the years. 

In front of the visitors center

Carlene showing off--SQUATTING in the flowers! 

Gwendolyn and Carlene

Here's one of Gwendolyn's poems from her self-published book, Brave Poems Released, under her pseudonym, Iona Leveck:

She was born an adult
with no past

but a future
as big as the sky

and a ripening knowing
of who she is

and why she doesn't need to
go through moping 
or sorrowing
ever again

because Gwendolyn did

And Gwendolyn
was one of her 
very best friends.


We told Gwendolyn that it must be a good town to have so many donkeys--and that took us on a brief conversation about politics.  She's one of us.

We spent last night in Santa Fe and woke up this chilly morning to browse the wonderful farmer's market and crafts booths by the Railroad--where I splurged on a turquoise bracelet for me and birthday presents for my kids.  So much fun!

Driving into Taos today, I saw a sign announcing an outdoor art fair, so we checked into our motel and spent the afternoon perusing local crafts--painted gourds, pottery, jewelry, wooden things, quilts, and clothes.

We spent most of our time in Lynn's booth.  She makes drums and I thought she might have sage smudge sticks (Kate had asked me to get her one.)  Sure enough, she had them.  She told us that she often beats heart-beats on drums to help people "pass over." When she drums in nursing homes, patients who have dementia often perk up and become more alert when they hear the sound of drums.

Lynn, the drum-maker

Before we left, Lynn gave me a "drum wash"--intended to clear my chakras. It must have worked some magic because later in the afternoon, I had a conversation with a nice Vietnam veteran who said--when we parted--"I love you for this whole day."

By the time we'd walked two craft fairs, my feet were hurting and our energy was leaking--but sharing a delicious gourmet burger at Five Star renewed our pep.

We plan to visit the pueblo in the morning, stop by Moxie--the shop that sells the pants I can only find in Taos--and then head back toward Santa Fe, Albuquerque, and Ruidoso, then toward Texas.

I'm not ready for these meandering days in the high desert to end!  If we didn't have things to get back for, we could stay here another week and be happy as a pair of red peppers on a string.






No comments: