Pages

Saturday, May 20, 2017

The SA Firefighters

I didn't know Scott personally, but when any firefighter loses his life, I feel I know him.  A six-year firefighter, Scott was married with two children and another on the way.

On Thursday night when Scott died in a fire on Ingram Road, one of Will's friends, Rob--a member of the rescue team--was injured trying to save him.

As Chief Hood said last night, any firefighter "would lay down his life for a brother."

At midnight Thursday night, I got a text: I'm okay--just didn't want you to worry when you see the news in the morning.

But he's shaken by it, as are all the San Antonio firefighters.

I know these guys.  They are a bunch of lovable men (a few women) who joke as they ride along to answer calls, some no big deal, some life-threatening.  This one was the kind of fire they are trained for, the kind of work that calls up all their training and muscle and mind.  None of us connected to any of them will forget this week's tragedy.








No comments: