Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2018

Had a lovely swim with Nathan and Elena today.  While Freda swam 16 laps, we three paddled around, Nathan diving under water to retrieve whatever we tossed out for him.

I came through with a bag of little gifts for them both, but the best gifts in the bag were, as usual, the balloons--oh, and Elena's swimming tube that looked like an iced donut.

After the swim, they played with Makken and Sebastien.  Elena used to be so shy when she walked over and knocked on their door, but now Miss Independence loves going alone, waving good-bye, saying, "I'm going to see my friends now."

She did come home to water color for a bit.  Intent on painting, she said, "I think parents should stay together with their first husbands so that one of the siblings doesn't have to go spend time with his other dad."

Ugh oh, I thought--we're getting into some weeds here!

"But if your mother had stayed with Nathan's dad, we wouldn't have you," I said.

"Oh yeah!" she said.  "That's why me and my daddy have the same DNA."

"Well do you know why my mother broke up with Nathan's dad?"

I tried to sound like Mr. Rogers and said something like, "Sometimes people get married too young and they outgrow each other.  Or maybe they aren't happy together like your parents are."

"What about you and Abuelo?  You got broken up too, didn't you?"

"Yes, we did, a long time ago."

"Well, is he still my grandpa?"

"Yes, grandparents are always your grandparents.  He's just not my husband."

(Thank you, Jesus!  I said, just to myself.)

I decided to celebrate tonight by making a cup of vanilla ice cream in the Vitamix.  First time.  Quite scrumptious!


No comments: