Pages

Sunday, June 3, 2018

Learning New Stuff

I've always liked fig newtons, but until today I had never tasted a dried fig.  Dried figs, as the teacher explained on my Udemy course in superfoods, are filled with good nutrients and if we eat three a day we get, for example, 100 grams of calcium.  Who knew?  Not me.  Also--the fiber in dried fruits balances the sugar in the fruit.

I just made a delicious batch of Raw Chocolate Hazelnut Oat Brownies. To make this recipe, I bought a few things for the first time, including figs and hazelnuts and I learned that you can grind up oats to make a flour.  No wheat in this recipe, no eggs, no butter, just nuts and dried fruit and coconut oil.

We all know that learning keeps our minds alive.  Vibrant older people are always learners, usually readers, and curious about the world.  Today's Ted Radio Hour has an excellent discussion, by the way, on wisdom:

https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510298/ted-radio-hour

My learning gears are working overtime in a happy hum.  I've watched countless hours of photography classes, and even if my photos don't show a marked improvement, it's fascinating to learn how a camera works and how you can manipulate all those buttons and dials to achieve different results.  One class led me to Lightroom, an editing program that does amazing things.  Another led me to the app called Snapseed, which works similarly for iPhone photography.  I was awake until 3:00 this morning studying and taking notes.

I'm calling it summer school.  I agree with Carlene who said the other day, "We have so much to learn!"



No comments: