Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2018

Making Sunday Lunch

Since I am fully occupied with movies, books, camera buttons and outings, cooking is a rarity in my house.

One day I stumbled upon a video class promising to teach me twenty ways to cook an egg.  I didn't buy the class--heavens no, it would have put a dent in my photography and travel budget!  But I did watch one sample video which I'll share with you below.

To make this Faro Italian Torta, one needs a spring form pan.  I believed myself to be in possession of such a pan, so I climbed on a chair and searched every cranny of my upper cabinets.  Nothing!  I tried to recall the last time I'd made a cheese cake, and it turns out it was back when I lived in Helotes, married with children.

About the time I was starting to search the storage room, Day called, and I shared with her my dilemma.  I didn't want to go out and buy a new one, given the fact that somewhere in my closets or storage room I was sure there was a spring form pan.

"Oh," Day said.  "You gave me yours."

"I did?" I replied.  "When?"

"Oh, maybe twenty years ago," she said.

I found my 40% off coupon from Michaels and ran right over and purchased a shiny new one, then went to the nursery to buy parsley and basil plants, then to Trader Joe's to get ricotta, faro, and parmesan, and I was all set to go.  At this moment, the made and cooling on a wire rack and lunch will be, based on the smells coming from the kitchen, late and good.  And since it is said to serve 8 and I am traveling solo through Rake, the series, I should have enough leftovers this week to move on to season 3.

farro italian torta



No comments: