Pages

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Down the Line

First--it looks as if Marcus may be tolerating the dog, Day texted hopefully last night.  So far, when we talked, puppy didn't have a name, but they are considering Maisy (to rhyme with Daisy) or Indie--after some dog reference in Indiana Jones.

Second, San Antonio is covered with fog--which means I have to get out right away and take pictures.  I caught up with all the Masterpiece episodes I'd missed last night after dinner at Freda's: The Guilty, Indian Summers, HomeLand.  What would we do without Masterpiece?

Freda highly recommends The Spy on The Bridge--which I may try to squeeze into my day.  But first, I need to run over to the doctor's office--as my mump (singular, yes) has returned, an inflamed salivary gland.  (Parotid is the name of that gland, actually)

Mike is restoring an old trunk he bought fifty years ago.  He put new handles on it and will put the story of the trunk inside, along with some collage elements, so that "whoever gets it down the line will know its story."  

This is Mike's passion--saving and restoring beautiful things to pass down the line.  He wants to keep antiques beautiful, to know their history, and to bequeath them to people who will appreciate their stories.

It's what we humans do when we reach a certain age: we think of "the line" continuing, someone valuing the things and ideas we find beautiful, hoping someone else will love what we love. 

My computer is on its last lap--so I spent an hour or so at the Mac store yesterday being dazzled by all the changes in computer technology since I bought my last machine: laptops with retina displays, laptops that weigh practically nothing, and a new super large iPad Pro that seems to have it all.  

There's a certain quaint charm to old antique typewriters--but I'm glad that we're this far down the line.  To be able to research any topic, edit photographs, watch movies, observe dimensional maps and find directions, listen to music, check the weather and e-mails all on a handheld device--it's amazing all the places we can go with feather-light strokes of the finger.










No comments: