Pages

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Where is the light?

I don't believe I have ever read an owner's manual.  But having been asked to do the photography for a book two friends are writing, I felt compelled to learn what the buttons and dials on my Nikon can do.

Nikon 550 for Dummies was a bit over my head, but I've found a terrific book: Stunning Digital Photography by Tony Northrup.

This book is readable and interesting, each of his points supported with photographs to illustrate.  Throughout the book, there are links to short videos, adding up to over 12 hours of videos.  (You can also find his videos on You Tube.)

I've taken several photography classes over the years, but I'm usually so overwhelmed that I wind up returning to Auto mode.  This class-in-a-book is the book for a novice like me.

Chapter 3 teaches about light sources and the different effects that can be achieved by making pictures in different lighting situations:

Light is usually the most beautiful an hour after sunrise and an hour before sunset.  

Photographers call these times the golden hours.  The golden hours are special for several reasons:

* The rising or setting sun casts a warm light across your surroundings, giving everything a golden glow.

* The sky, and shadows the sky illuminates, take on a deep blue color that complements the warm sunlight.

* The sun is low on the horizon, providing side lighting that adds depth.

* Light is softer than in the middle of the day, so the shadows are not as harsh.












No comments: