Pages

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Home

It is nearly 2 a.m, and I'm awake, expecting Mike to arrive in the next hour or two!

What do you do when you're waiting?

Me, I read some in my photography book, check on cool things to make on Pinterest, maybe Etsy, listen to some a cappella music on Pandora, and follow the links my friend sends me to art-related sites.  I order a book called The Syllabus by Lynda Barry because my friend (who likes the same kind of books I do) strongly recommended it. Then I pick up a book on my bedside table, thinking surely that will put me to sleep--but no.  It makes me think.

I'm reading Sandra Cisneros' memoir, A House of My Own, Stories from My Life.   In chapter 2 ("No place like Home") she writes:

We find ourselves at home, or homing, in books that allow us to become more ourselves.  Home "is not just the place where you were born," as the travel writer Pico Iyer once noted.  "It's the place where you become yourself."

Where is the place where you have become who you are?  Where is your home?

When Thomas Wolfe was already a successful author someone asked him if he would consider moving back to North Carolina.  He said, "My writing is my home now." 








No comments: