Pages

Saturday, November 7, 2015

My Saturday Night Date




       On the morning after my Saturday night date, my house looks like it's been stirred by a giant spoon.  The floor is covered with straws, buttons, scraps of fabric, and paint.  The bathtub is filled with plastic toys.  Tootsie Roll wrappers are stuffed between the sofa cushions.

       But being Elena's grandmother is well worth the mess. She teaches me so much!

1. Wake up from every sleep with a smile and a stretch--as if this morning or this post-nap afternoon is the best day ever.

2. Hug with your whole heart.

3. Disagree with big people when they are wrong.

4. Look at all the crafts supplies and say, "I have a great idea!  Let's write a book!"  Be proud of your ideas.

5. Notice everything and remember it.  "Remember when Kate told us about the tarantulas?"

6. Don't bother cleaning up if you're in the middle of a creative project.

7. Be happy and optimistic.  "I'm not going to die for a really long time because I'm just a little kid."

8. Pick out and wear clothes and boots you like.


        Before her parents left on their dinner date, I told her, "I like your pink boots and leggings."

        Will said,  "Just before we left home she told me, 'Yenna is going to love my boots and leggings.'"

        We know each other well.  We love the same things--like bright colors and making things.  Last night we wrote a book together on little tiny pieces of paper, then bound it with tape.  She designed the layout and told me what words to write--it was all about cats and dogs.

        Being Elena's grandmother makes my heart overflow.  She told her parents last night, "Yenna is my favorite person in the whole wide world."

        This may not be true forever, but it's enough, more than enough, that it's true from time to time.  



       

   


















No comments: