Pages

Monday, May 28, 2018

Hipster Back Home

On Saturday, Betty and I went to Athens, picked up Claire, then had brunch at Heirlooms, where Mary Elizabeth is manager. We wanted to introduce these two to each other since Claire and M.E. (now Rose) are both firecracker young women.  I loved seeing Claire after all these years--she's nineteen, funny, talented as a singer and actor, a doing a bit of job hunting while she's working as a "sandwich artist" at Subway.  

Betty (BB to the grandchildren) is her "some kind of mama"--having raised her since she was an infant.  "Being out on my own is harder than I thought it would be," Claire said.  "I'm the mama and grandmama for all the people in my house." She's a good cook and the one who is the self-appointed caretaker and cook for the people who share an apartment.  "I'm like BB to them all," she said.

Claire pronounced me a "hipster"--so I need to do a bit of research to find out what that means so I can live up to my new moniker.  Right now, I feel a bit wilted and wrinkled and wrung out from travel, but I'll get my act together and be a proper hipster when I unpack my duds.

Betty has begun a new chapter of her own life.  For one thing, she's doing a keto-diet and losing pounds and headaches and feels better than she's felt in years.  I'm  inspired by her progress and energy!





Claire

Carlene and I had our last meal of this trip together yesterday at Lavender's Chinese.  Then we sat in her carport living room and watched the birds and squirrels pecking around in the green yard until my Uber driver arrived at five.  I wish I could figure out how to post a video on here because I took a hilarious four-second one of Carlene fast-prissing down the aisles at the grocery store like a 30-year-old!

It's been a fabulous two weeks!  I got home late last night and am settling back into bed for a nap before unpacking and getting on with my day.

Kate Schubert kept my yard green and pretty and Pam and Cindy brought Nora to clean my house--so my homecoming was especially wonderful!  





No comments: