Pages

Friday, May 25, 2018

Wednesday: Arrived back in Lawrenceville.

On Wednesday, Carlene and I got thrown off our beautiful backroad route after a fun stop in Floyd, Virginia, onto the traffic-packed Interstate of North Carolina.  We enjoyed the roadside banks of poppies and larkspurs for a while, but soon realized we had entered the flow of rushing cars and trucks and were unable to find early lodging.

No more interstates for us, no more I85!

After a night in Spartanburg, we passed over the Hartwell Reservoir which brought back unpleasant memories or two and ten years ago (when what I thought was one story was something else altogether) and the clouds thick in the sky over the lake seeped into my mind and made me feel a little icky.

"Let's get off this thing and find some happy roads again," I said--to Carlene, to On Star, and to the maps on our phones.  We drove some backroads to Clayton, Georgia, but by then I didn't feel much like exploring.

Places hold memories and some places are not good places to drive by.

So Carlene--completely well--drove the last two hours home.  She's feeling great now that she's stopped taking the bad red pill!

Since we've been back in Lawrenceville, we've had two very relaxing and good days and a walk just before the rain started tonight.  Tomorrow, Betty is coming and we're going to drive to Athens to have lunch with Claire, her granddaughter, and Mary Elizabeth, my niece.






No comments: