Pages

Friday, May 11, 2018

Slides to Digital

I have found in my house a treasure trove of old slides--taken during the 60s, 70s, and 80s.  I spread them on the light box and traveled back in time:

Carlene is standing on the beach;  I am sitting on the back porch of the Huisache house, 1967, wearing a yellow dress; my daddy is holding Baby Day--who looks remarkably like curly-haired Elena; Will is sliding down sand dunes; our dog Tony is catching frisbees; I'm riding my motorcycle; we're meeting the Kots from Cape Cod for the first time at Molas Lake in Colorado....





Thank goodness my daddy was a photographer, like me an amateur but devoted to saving memories.

I am preparing them to mail to a company that turns them into digital files, then returns the originals along with a thumb drive.  The reviews of this company--Southtree--are good, but I find I'm afraid of letting them go.

Meanwhile, Nathan is making photographs with the Polaroid-type camera (Instax) and making books of memories of his Pritchett family to take with him when he goes to his other home every other week.  "This way I can take you with me," he tells Will. (I gave the camera to his parents for their birthday, but Nathan is captivated with the magic of photography with instant prints.)

I've spent most of the day packing for my Sunday trip to Georgia and I have enough camera equipment and books to last me way longer than I'll be there.  Carlene and I will take a long back-roads trip to Virginia.

By the time we get there, Marcus will have had his 13th birthday, so both my Virginia guys will be teenagers!


No comments: