Pages

Monday, December 3, 2018

FAT SALT ACID HEAT

I'm going to have to go to Italy again after watching the first episode of this delightful documentary!  I'd heard an interview with Samin Nosrat on NPR and it piqued my interest.

Nellie and I went to some of the places featured in episode one.  Samin observes (and participates a little) in the harvesting of olives and the making of olive oil (Liguria).  She helps in the making of beautiful foccocia.

Olive oil, I learned, has an expiration date and doesn't age well like wine does, but I'm sure everybody else already knows this.

We see healthy pigs before and after slaughter, and we learn about the parts of the pigs we carnivores enjoy.  We watch an Italian woman making pesto with a mortar and pestle.  And we get to see how real pasta is made, how it's been made for thousands of years, no fancy machines needed.

It's a mouth-watering, earthy, sensuous, lovely show--with upbeat Italian music and lots of beautiful shots of markets and landscapes in Tuscany!

No comments: