Pages

Saturday, December 8, 2018

Why I Love the Best Western Resort

1. Sergio and Maria clean my room--every day.  (Sergio's ever-present smiles are Room-Lighter-Uppers.  He greets me in the elevator, in the hallway, at the door, always happy. Yesterday I ran into him in the lobby.  Holding bundles of sheets under each arm, he said, sincerely, in new-to-him English, "I love my job!"). "Ju need anything I take care of you."



2. I'm close enough to my real home to crash Jan and Kate's kitchen table from time to time, experiencing such delicious novelties as golden beet soup.  (And after they've gotten me suitably drunk on half a glass of wine another afternoon, they give me crackers and boiled eggs to sober me up before the drive back to the resort.)

3. There are many dining options nearby --none as good as Jan and Kate's on Ogden, of course, and none offering the hospitality and friendship back in the 'hood--but last night's speciality was a yummy blackberry cobbler at the Cracker Barrel next door, and I don't regret saying yes to ice cream on top, not even half a bit,

4. I don't have to go outside in the rain and cold to have my after-dinner smoke. I can smoke in my own bathroom, just like at home. (More run-of-the-mill accommodations have rules posted right on the door bragging that they are 100% smoke free, but BW has a more liberal policy.)

5.. Maria, the other housekeeper, met me in the hall yesterday complimenting the things I make in my room and she took notes on the process.  ("I was wondering what you were doing with brushes and paints and now I know!")

       Here, I'll show you the first of two trays I've made here at the BW.  I cut out wrapping and origami paper in circles with a one-inch cutter purchased at Michael's, then glue them onto wooden trays, topping it off with Mod-Podge. (Normally I would then spray them with polyurethane, but I don't want to push my luck here at the BW.)





6. And the view!  Words don't do them justice, but I'll send you two  photograph to whet your appetite:








7. At the BW, I don't have to do one thing except what I feel like doing--no washing clothes or dishes, no cleaning of dusty surfaces.  So I'm watching "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" on Amazon, writing, and punching circles....





No comments: