Pages

Thursday, April 18, 2019

Intentional and Intuitive

Every day I discover a new arts and crafts technique, a new glue with particular applications to paper and fabric, new paints and pencils.  Why didn't they teach us the pleasure of play and making things in school?

Most of my favorite teachers at You Tube University are English.  "Let's see what we have to hand," and "Let's have a play" are two phrases I hear a lot.

Kim Dellow's video tutorials are the flavor of the week.  Yesterday she showed me, among other things, how to decorate a box with acrylic paint and I did step one before going to sleep at two in the morning.

She teaches a very fluid style of mark-making which is helping me loosen up.  She talks about intentionality--having a plan or an idea--and also following your intuition stroke by stroke, letting one shape or line lead naturally to the next "without thinking about it so much."

Creative endeavors--from writing to photography to traveling--involve both.

When I travel, as I expect to do soon, I have three destinations in mind, but intuition will take over as I follow trails and backroads, one leading to the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9tjRJAe-nk






No comments: