Pages

Monday, April 29, 2019

The Night Before Leaving

The You Tube Universe is relatively new to me--what a great source of information and inspiration! Some You Tubers are experts with excellent camera work and sound quality, organized and clear explanations, and some are amateurs who, as the word suggests, "love what they do." While many of the professionals monetize their channels and get good stuff from people who make the products they mention, many others do it with no financial compensation--which speaks, in both cases, of the generosity of those who want to share what they've discovered.

I just learned last night, for example, that alcohol inks can only be used on non-porous surfaces:  walls, glass, tiles, Yupo paper (a "paper" made of plastic), and the back side of most photo papers.  I watched with fascination as one teacher made fractals with ink and drops of alcohol and I went out today to get a bottle of 91% alcohol and some freezer paper to practice on.

I'm also drawn to Gel printing--a form of mono printing using a gel plate--but so far, I've not quite gotten it right.  I'll keep plugging along.  I'm packing my plate and acrylic paints and brayer and will work on it in motels.

One of the mantras of You Tube Universe in this category is this: "It doesn't have to be perfect.  Just play and have fun!"

That's exactly my philosophy about making things.


No comments: