Pages

Friday, April 26, 2019

Round Things

What shapes, colors, and arrangements are most appealing to you?

As I watch the weekly lesson from Wanderlust, I realized that my style of making things almost always focuses on circles.  I also love grids of things--which Nellie does, too, and she attributes it in part to our growing up near farms and fields, like peach trees standing in neat grids in the red dirt of Georgia.

What we see when we're little imprints itself in our minds, though the connection is not always conscious.

Many years ago--say, 50, I remember taking white egg cartons and painting each little cell with a different color of paint.

Years later, I used muffin tins to arrange various seeds and candies.

And then I went through a period of taking photographs of round things--from Mexican pastries to sliced onions, then arranging them in grids.

So tonight's Wanderlust class piqued my interest, even though it falls under the class' category of Steampunk, which  'd planned to skip.  Steampunk, per se, isn't my thing--but this class demonstrated something that is: a muffin tin painted all different colors and then used as a background for clay forms that she also taught us how to make.



I can hardly wait to copy this idea!


No comments: