Pages

Friday, January 24, 2020

Home-Schooling

Pam and I are both taking Wanderlust 2020--which delivers into our inboxes a lesson every Friday.

This week's lesson is taught by Jeanne Oliver.  While she is teaching mono printing and carving of linoleum blocks, which I don't plan to try, she also taught us how to die fabrics with avocado pits and dried hibiscus flowers.  This I do plan to try.  On her handout she shows ways to use other herbs and spices and flowers for dying, so this could be a good way to use my herbs and spices, too.

Jeanne embodies what I love about a good teacher: she's cheerful and clear in her explanations, just the right pace.  Like all the teachers on Wanderlust, she provides handouts that summarize the class and lists materials for students to try.

Watching these classes is like having a guest teacher in my house every week for an hour.  Whatever they are teaching, I usually learn at least one thing in each class.

So with spring coming, this class gives me a way to use leaves and flowers in a variety of ways.

Another way, not mentioned in this class, is what I've learned in a previous class: pressing leaves into the gel press and imprinting them for print-making.

Pam is also taking a class called "Radical Compassion" and she shared with me one of the interviews this morning--with Liz Gilbert author of Eat, Pray, Love and other books. It was a very inspiriting conversation in which she shared going through the death of her best friend and love, Rhea, and how she got through that terrible time of loss.

If you're interested in this entire class, it's still available on Sounds True.

I'm also reading a book called Love for Imperfect Things by Buddhist monk and professor and writer, Haemin Sunim.  Another of his books is called The Things You Can See Only When you Slow Down.

"Since the world is interconnected and interdependent, if one of us is in pain, we all feel it."








No comments: