Pages

Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Lifestyle changes?

On Monday, in a rush of virtuous intentions, I signed up for one of those Udemy classes on nutrition.  The teacher was a very well-informed and argued persuasively for a plant-based diet, each of her claims backed up with convincing science.

I watched about thirty minutes of the seven hours of the class and asked for a refund--which they gave me.

The nutrition police would probably not approve of  some of my dietary choices.  In my twenties and thirties, I tried: Adele Davis' high protein meal plan, macrobiotics, vegetarianism, and Weight Watchers.  Then in my sixties, I went gluten-free for a while.  In each case, I was a true believer for a few months.

Each time, however, I found myself falling back into my normal eating patterns and lifestyle choices (as they call it in the business).  Some of my choices might get me a silver star on the good person chart,  but some would definitely get me a sprinkling of demerits.

When the teacher of the course said this was not a diet but a lifestyle change, when she said "never cook your fruit," I knew I was done.  I couldn't imagine myself going to the store and buying me some millet and bulgar, and I knew I was going to cook my fruit whenever I wanted.

When, after showing plate after plate of vegetables and brown rice, she beamed: "And you get to have treats!"--and showed some very unappetizing blobs of cacao and coconut milk. I was a quick drop out and happier for it.

So I'm going to eat more fruit and phyto-nutrient stuff, but I'm not going to buy the whole Kool-Aid of any one way of eating.

My own inner angels are rebellious and playful and they said, "This won't do.  Not for you."

I like the way they think.

No comments: