Pages

Sunday, July 5, 2015

Melba's Pound Cake

Yesterday, Carlene and I walked down the street to visit Melba and Bill--neighbors and friends since my parents moved to this neighborhood 50 years ago.

Bill (87) was at the point of death a few months ago, was even moved into a nursing home--but he's rallied.  He still thinks he can do everything he used to do, but he's not as sure on his feet.  Last week he fell beside the driveway and couldn't get up. Melba drove the car down the driveway to where he'd fallen and pulled him back into the car with the crook of his cane.

I recalled to Melba her recipe for Brunswick stew that is still in my box of wedding present recipes.  She said, "Would you like my recipe for pound cake?  Here--let me give you a piece and see if you like it." It was delicious.

Pound Cake

Blend well:

     2 cups of sugar, 1 stick of oleo, 1 stick of butter.

Add:

     2 cups cake flour, 4 eggs, 3 teaspoons vanilla flavoring.

Bake in a greased and floured tube pan at 350 for about 50 minutes.

Note: For Crust on Top--Add egg whites to blended butter/sugar with some flour.  Slowly add rest of flour and egg yolks.





No comments: