Pages

Monday, July 27, 2015

More Juice from Friends

1.

For a long time, Pam has been the friend who sends me the most interesting links.  She's the one who gave me Brainpickings, for example.  We met for dinner last night and she gave me this link and she's tested it and loves it:

http://www.peonyandparakeet.com/blog/

This Scandinavian artist teaches drawing techniques on her blog and on YouTube that I plan to check out this week.

And this one: http://balzerdesigns.typepad.com

2.

Then Betty called and told me that she is taking her very talented daughter to New York for the second time this year--to see three Broadway plays and investigate some colleges for the performing arts.  Claire, her granddaughter (whom Betty has raised) is very talented in acting, dance, and music.  "I don't care if I have holes in my underpants," Betty said, "But I'm going to splurge on this for her!"  Could we all cross our fingers in unison, that Claire finds a school that's a fit for her?  Her dream is to live and work in New York.

3.

Kate called this morning and told me she'd just read Emily, Alone--which I, too, have read but want to read again.  The wonder of the book, Kate said, was that the male narrator had an uncanny ability to get inside the heads of women our age.   She also recommended Jojoba oil (which I bought at Trader Joe's) for dry nails and hair and skin, and I can already tell a difference.

4 and 5.

Then I had a short visit with Joy and Bonnie.  Bonnie was signing poetry books for Joy and we talked about the three-month house she's renting in Vermont--an idea that really appeals to me in this three-digit Texas heat.  Joy told us that coconut oil is supposed to be really good for the brain and she gave me this recipe for coconut oil chocolate.

1/3 coconut oil
2 T. honey
10 drops Stevia (or more honey if you don't like Stevia)
1 t. vanilla
1/3 cup cocoa powder.

"You just eat it with a spoon."

I've used coconut oil for other things, but this recipe sounds like the best way yet to get some more chocolate while boosting the brain!

They both love the book they are discussing today at book group: West With the Night by Beryl Marham.  It sounds like a great summer read, and I'm starting with my Kindle sample as I start by afternoon nap, then to catch up on the three excellent Masterpiece series afterward: Crimson Fields, Poldark, and Last Tango in Halifax.


No comments: