Pages

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Quirks

Quirkidiosyncrasy, peculiarity, oddity, eccentricity, foible, whim, vagary, caprice, fancy, crotchet, habit, characteristic, trait, fad, or hang-up.

I don't mind my own quirks so much.  I'm used to them. It's the quirks of other people that are annoying: peculiar, odd, distasteful, irritating.

If a quirk is more than annoying, it may rise to the status of character flaw, or even what literature calls tragic flaws: habitual dishonesty, violent tempers, jealousy, etc.  These are bigger deals, and they can bring the man or woman down. Or not.

Flaws can add depth to the characters in a story.  Who can forget Achilles' heel?

It has been brought to my attention that I have a habit of not finishing things.  I tend to start washing the dishes and wander off down some other, more interesting, trail.

It has recently been noted, also, that I  leave Reeses wrappers and half-finished drinks on the counter, the bedside table, and other surfaces.

I leave my shoes where I shed them.  This must be terribly annoying to walkers in my house!

Quirks are somewhere between cute and distasteful, depending on who's judging.


No comments: