Pages

Saturday, July 11, 2015

The Letter B--and other letters

It occurred to me, traveling, that I'm always drawn to B things: Bags, boxes, bowls, baskets, and books.  These are the things I shop for and discover and bring home.

I like my life to be alliterative.

At some point in West Louisiana, Carlene noticed a store: Beer, Bait, and Beyond.

On another stretch of road, I wish we had actually counted the tiny Baptist churches that were, seemingly, around every bend: Bethany Baptist, Beulah Baptist, Bella Vista Baptist--just to name a few of the "B" names.   For miles, it was as if every small community had its own Baptist church and my guess is that the maximum size of congregation would be around  40 or 50 members.

In Lufkin, Texas, we stopped for a drink at Whataburger and asked directions to the post office:  "Just keep going thataway," the girl told us.  "Pass houses, houses, houses, then buildings, buildings, buildings.  Then look over thataway [she pointed to the right side of the street in her mind] and you will see a great big building with steps steps steps and that will be the post office."  We followed her odd directions and, sure enough, we found the post office--though it wasn't all that big.

This morning Carlene and I are reading the books we bought in Oxford and enjoying the quiet of the first morning at home, interrupting the silence from time to time to read each other  lines from the book we're reading.  She's reading a book about Harper Lee: The Mockingbird Next Door and a preview of Lee's recently published Go Set A Watchman.

I am reading the book she bought for me--a series of letters between Eudora Welty and William Maxwell: What There Is to Say We Have Said. 

We'd planned to walk three miles and start our healthier eating regimen, but Urth Juice wasn't open yet--so we decided to have a bowl of cereal and spend the day relaxing at home before the rodeo tonight.







No comments: