Pages

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Antioch, Earl, and Pie

Mike woke up wanting to try breakfast at Earl Abel's.  I remembered going to the original Earl Abel's on Broadway many times with Will and my parents, and it was always so good.  A restaurant started in 1933, everything on the menu is homemade.  We had a good conversation with Roger, the owner, who--it turns out--lives on my street, two blocks down.

Because I so enjoyed Friday night at Temple-Beth-El, Mike and I went to the Antioch Baptist service today.  The rabbi gave the sermon, echoing Martin Luther King's message of equality for all--as the Antioch pastor had done at Temple Beth-El.  There was a standing ovation, first by the women, then everyone, when the Antioch preacher announced that both rabbis and the cantor at Temple Beth-El are all women!  My favorite line of the sermon was this:  "We should not all seek a bigger piece of the pie; we should seek to make the pie bigger so that everyone has plenty."

On the way home from church, we decided to go back and try some of Earl's homemade pie--Mike cherry, me chocolate.

What a fun day it's been already--as days usually are with Mike!  He always says, "This is my second best day ever!"  (The best was about eight years ago when we met in a town called Hope.)

Now we're going to rake some leaves and buy some sunflower seeds for the birds.



No comments: