Pages

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Humans of Charleston (and a couple of mules)

Amanda on Mount Pleasant.
"What would you like to tell people?" Mike asked.
"Buy your baskets from me," she said. 
Shananda who makes jewelry with African beads
Here's January.
"My name is January but I was born in October," he said.
"Some people say they named me that because that was when I was conceived.
But my granddaddy is also named January." 
"Will they bite me?" I asked Mike.
"Probably not," he replied.

They didn't bite anybody. 

Carlene--who makes sweet grass baskets.
"Everybody is so happy here, so nice," Mike said.
"It's too hard to be mean," she said. 

Carlene today--wearing a wig
She advised us to have lunch at Buckshots--
a soul food restaurant about 30 miles from here....
which we did. 
Eloise--who has a degree from Duke, but after 30 years as a histologist,
returned to sweetgrass basket weaving, and is teaching the craft to her granddaughters.
"My grandmother is with me every day," she said.
"If you don't know where you come from, you never know where you're going." 

Mike who sells matts.  One of his customers asked, "Do you have one that says Oklahoma?"
"No," he replied.
"If you did have one, what would it say?" the customer asked.
Say what???





No comments: