Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Marie--sweetgrass basket-maker in Charleston



Just as we were leaving Charleston, we decided to stop at the visitor's center.  Mike bought a small basket from Marie to use as a stand for a sculpture.

Marie is holding a beautiful rice basket.  "Two hundred dollars," she said.

I told her I liked it, but couldn't afford it right then.

"I'll tell you what.  I will give it to you and you will send me the money later.  The Lord loves a cheerful giver and I know you will pay me when you can."

I declined her offer, but said maybe I'd get it next time we're in Charleston.

"Because if you don't pay me," she continued, "Every time you look at the basket, you will think of me and think 'I owe Marie that money.'"

She asked me to take a picture with her holding the rice basket, probably to increase my sense of ownership:


"I love your pancho," she said.

"My daughter made it for me," I said.

"I would trade you a basket for that pancho," she said.  "Tell your daughter if she comes here and brings a pancho I will give her any basket she wants."






No comments: