Pages

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Observing Humans


I thought it would be easy to snap pictures of people and find a nugget of their stories--as HONY (Humans of New York)  does.  It's not easy.  First, you have to have way more advanced skills as a photographer than I have.  Then, you have to juggle your notebook and ask questions and listen while you're taking pictures, giving the person time to relax and talk naturally.  But trying--just trying--makes me see every person I encounter as the unique human he or she is.   Everyone has a story.



We shared wine and cheese with this North Carolina farmer and his wife.  I'd love to see what the experts at HONY would do with Billy Joe--what a character!

"How did you meet?" I asked--having only my iPhone to capture a snapshot.

"You want to know the truth?  She was bending over the bottom shelf at Wal-Mart and she had on these red pants and I thought WOO-HOO!"

"She hung up on me the first three times I called--which didn't do me any good since I'd just had a divorce and wasn't feeling so confident of myself."

But he prevailed and here they are, married two years.  "I give her everything she wants," Billy Joe said.  "Like this Christmas. I gave her four chickens and a rooster.  Last year I gave her two hogs."




No comments: