Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Barnie and Sarge


After reading Humans of New York, I was jazzed. "That kind of project has your name all over it, Yenna," my fourteen-year-old grandson, Jackson, told me. "You could write a book about people you meet on your road trips."

I love what Brandon Stanton has done!  I can't imagine anything more fascinating than wandering around the world, meeting people, listening to their stories and taking pictures--then making a book out of it.

It's an infinitely copy-able idea, at least in theory.  You can also read this stories on his blog, on Facebook, and on the HONY app.

After reading his book, I feel more attuned to every stranger on the street, looking into each person's eyes as if I'm looking at a work of art. His book does that, just like going to an art museum makes me look at ordinary things differently afterwards.

So in Charleston, I thought I'd just do the same thing: I'd take pictures, interview people, and find a story to go with each one.

My assistant, the extrovert Mike,  started up conversations with such colorful characters on the streets of Charleston, and I snapped pictures. To "Can I take your picture?" everybody said, "Yes, sure!"

So on the last day, Mike, driving, saw these two men painting a canon.  He thought that surely had a story I'd want to capture, so he pulled over and said, "Get them."

I took one picture from a distance, then hopped back in the car.  "Why don't you go talk to them?" he suggested.  "That's gotta be a great story!  Two men painting a canon--it could be two hundred years ago."

These two men were happy to have their picture taken.  Sarge is the one with the cigarette, a retired Marine.  Barnie is the one who asked me if I'd like to go out to dinner with him--and gave me his phone number.



I hopped back in the car again.  "That guy was flirting with me," I told Mike, my ego feathers fluffed up from the surprise turn in the interview.

Mike was disappointed.  "That's not a story for a book!" he said.  "Who would want to read about that?"


"Here's the deal, Michael," I said.  "At my age, that's a really good story!"





No comments: