Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Medina Lake Monday

Mike and I had a delicious steak lunch at Joy and Frank's house at Medina Lake yesterday. Our two guys hit it off from the start, "two brothers from a different mother."  Both are bikers, collectors, and lovers of old things.  Both have built their own houses and buildings--Frank and Joy adding on to a beautiful house Frank bought there in 1971.  The stories of these two men entertained them, and us, all day!

I was reminded of the beginning of our lifetime friendship--back in the late Sixties when Frank returned to San Antonio to teach at S.A.C. after graduate school in Chicago.  I remember one day in particular,  a day on the opposite side of Medina Lake when a bunch of us threw sticks into the lake all afternoon for our dog, Tony, to retrieve. I was shy and tongue-tied around these college teachers back then, being a young college student at S.A.C. myself.

I'd watch from the sidelines as we threw sticks, smoking a cigarette, reading a book.  And then--miracle of miracles--Frank brought Joy into our circle of friends, and I mean that literally.  Forty years ago, I attended Frank and Joy's wedding and we have been great friends ever since.  I loved Joy instantly, as everyone does, and I finally had a kindred spirit friend in Texas!

What fun it was to introduce my dear friends to Mike--and vice versa!





No comments: