Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2016

The Now

It was inevitable that Mike would one day meet my ex.  When it happened yesterday, it was brief, painless and predictable--two men shaking hands, period.  For me, though, two entirely different worlds brushed up against each other for a minute.

I'd imagined what it would be like, seeing the two of them in the same yard.  As Mike played with  the little kids, dogs and the goat, as he grabbed my hand for some Texas Two-Stepping on the grass and slid down the slide, I was so happy to be in the Now, not in the Then. To dance when you feel like it, even if nobody else is dancing, is exhilarating!

Some of my friends have friendly relationships with their exes, but my ex and I have always been rather awkward together, even when we were married. I told Mike this morning, "I know you better than I ever knew him, and vice versa."

"That's because we are both transparent," he said.

I don't make any claims to my own transparency--but I can say that Mike is about as transparent as they get.  It's one of the things I love most about him.















No comments: