Pages

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

A crystal ball moment

Last summer, I found a bonanza of Christmas ornaments at a garage sale, all brand new.  When I gave them to Elena, she carefully wrapped each of them for each person in her family.  She spent about an hour wrapping and taping them in tissue paper.

For herself, she chose only one--a glass ball with an opening in it revealing two penguins.  "This is my most special thing!" she said.  "I will put it high on the tree so nobody can break it."

The next morning, she woke up and told me she'd had a dream that she had broken her "crystal."
"That made me so sad," she said.

When her parents came in, she was so excited for them to open her presents.  "They always love what I give them," she said looking at me as they unwrapped their ornaments.

"Now for mine!" she said, carefully pulling out her crystal ball ornament with the penguins inside.  In her excitement to show her parents the penguins, an unfortunate thing happened.  The ornament fell to the floor and shattered!

She looked stricken--either by the loss of her treasure or by the echo of her sad dream, but she didn't cry.  She watched as her mom swept up the shards of it and went on with her day.



No comments: