Pages

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Angels in Plain Sight

Today, after I bottled kombucha, washed clothes and the car, Angela came to clean my house for the second time.  She came at noon, left at dark.

When I popped in to pay her, she was raking the leaves in my yard!  "I hope you don't mind," she said, "But I just love doing this.  And I LOVE your blower!"

Mind???  She's a strong and meticulous worker, better than most men.  My house sparkles and my yard is clean, all in one day.

I was ecstatic.  I had already raked up two puny bags yesterday and gave out of steam.  Now I have fifteen beautiful brown bags filled with pecan leaves!

"You're an angel!" I said--then thought, I bet with her name, she hears that all the time.

I'd already texted the yard man I used last spring and he hadn't gotten back to me, so voila! I now have a Go-To Person.  Everyone needs a go-to person, especially those of us who live alone and sometimes need little jobs done between big ones.

Angela brings her 20-year-old daughter, Samantha, and they are both excellent workers and such sweet people.  Samantha was able to raise the Murphy bed for me and found a ring I'd been looking for, under my bed.

She also has a 17-year-old daughter and a four-year-old son, the daughter keeping the baby while she works.  On Christmas Eve, her house on Cincinnati was broken into and all her Christmas presents stolen along with her television and the food in her freezer.  That same week, her 58-year-old father died.

"I'll just be glad when this year is over," she said, continuing to bag up leaves.

"But as for the presents?  The thief will be disappointed.  They were just things from the dollar store!"


No comments: