Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2018

An untaken photograph

This beautiful  morning, I was driving around the grounds of the McNay for photography inspiration. If I had been a real photographer, I'd have a posted myself there with a tripod early--but no, I was just on a coke run looking for a place for a pedicure.

I saw a photo I'd have loved to take, but wouldn't have taken without permission: a very pregnant young woman with her bare belly showing, her man standing beside her.  She was wearing an evening gown over the shorts, and it opened in the front--to reveal the shorts and the baby-bump.

Back in my days of pregnancy, the point was to hide the obvious with "maternity clothes," and no one ever considered showing it to strangers or framing it in any way.

But why not?  A pregnant body is spectacular.

As Freda said when I reported it, "We've come a long way, Baby!"

I hope the world is good to that baby about to make his or her entrance into it.   What I know is that this baby is one of the lucky ones--born to two parents, two big brothers, and a grandmother (I suspected) who was behind the camera.  They are already proud of her and she's done, so far, absolutely nothing but kick and sleep.

No comments: