Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Voices in the Night

Last night, I slept with a bunch of  people I've never met in person, including a philosopher, a professor, and a poet.

The reason I came to sleep with these three (and a couple of others) is that--sick to death of news--I fell asleep listening to podcasts.  They came to me courtesy of one of my favorite podcasts,   Krista Tippet's On Being.  When one ended, the next one began, so I'm hoping that even sleeping, I absorbed some wisdom.

"The only true religion is learning," one said.  I remember those words because they intrigued me, but I fell back to sleep before I found out who said it.

For each episode online, you can hear the actual produced version of Krista's interview (55 minutes) or you can choose the unedited raw version, including the outtakes and chit-chat.  I like to listen in on the chit-chat.

Every time I'd turn over in bed, my left arm would protest, having been stuck with a shingles needle yesterday morning.  Each time I briefly awoke, I'd hear one of these wide-awake people in my bed sharing personal revelations.  Charlotte told me at lunch that there was wicked loud thunder last night, but I didn't hear it at all.





No comments: