Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Art Camp With a Seven Year Old

Is messy, inspiring, and so much pleasure!

We stamped, stenciled, painted, made prints on a little gel plate, made transfers for our art journals out of packing tape, and used a heat tool to dry our watercolors between layers--most of which I had just learned myself on You Tube and other online classes.

Elena gets into it with the enthusiasm I feel myself when I make a mark or collage I like.  "Oh, Yenna, look!" she says.  "Look what I made!  It's so beautiful!"

We grown up types tend to regard our work-play with different eyes, measuring ourselves against some standard kids don't have in their wild and confident heads.

I kept thinking of Picasso's quote: "Every child is an artist.  The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up."




Preparing a gel plate for printing 
We made a list of options for her birthday:

Arts and Crafts
See Mary Poppins
Go to Build A Bear
Dinner at California Pizza

We did them all--all but seeing Mary Poppins.

At Build a Bear she chose a pink and blue llama with a tutu, shiny shoes and skates.  She attached her leash and walked llama all around the house until it was time to leave for dance class.  Then after dance class, at Sea Island,, she walked Lovey Lollipop all around the restaurant like a dog trainer might walk a purebred dog around the ring, attracting lots of attention and comments from other diners.


After all this, my house looks like a bunch of real live llamas marched through it and it may take the rest of the week to put back together, but the delight of it all hangs around and permeates every surface in every little room.

No comments: