Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Mike Deakin

A few more bits and bobs about Mike D, my remote and very English art teacher:

He and Ian apparently are partners, as they live in the same house and share in the nipping out for errands and cooking of dinners for themselves their friends.  And Mr. Bentley, their aristocratic-looking whippet is obviously a shared dog and makes me want a dog all the more, though the dog I want is a little white puffball that costs too much and has probably already been purchased.  Every once in a while, in the middle of his tutorials, Mr. Bentley will bark and Mike will say, "Do you need to go outside for a wee?" and he'll get up and open the door while Mr. Bentley attends to his dog business.

I watched one video in which Mike drove around for a whole week off and on, just talking about his life and the fact that the house they wanted to sell didn't sell.  He was driving on one of his errands to see his Mom and Dad and was happy that his mom was finally recovering from something that had her off her feet for a month.  I don't know why I find this so fascinating, but I do.

He's obviously living large on his blogging and website--as he has every art supply you could want in every color and every size.  I'm betting the companies that make these products are paying him whopping sums for his advertising of their products.

On one video he and his mother are making cards on Boxing Day.  Mother is telling him what colors to use and where she'd like them.

But the regular tutorials all focus on a page or a cover for his journals, and he has some great ideas and tips--besides his teaching being applicable even to beginners, like me.

Here's one chosen at random:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrC34kE1nGE

No comments: