Pages

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Inspirations From Nellie

Nellie always inspires me to make things--and this short visit was no exception.

She was in Lawrenceville for our high school reunion on Saturday and we got to visit all too briefly on Carlene's back porch.  I opted out of the reunion, not knowing for sure I was going to be there, but I got to see Nellie, my favorite friend from Central Gwinnett High School.

Judy (Carlene's walking partner and the mayor on her third term) dropped by.  "I won't stay long; I know you're reminiscing about old times," she said.

"Actually, we're not," Nellie said.  "We're talking about art and the things we want to make in the future."

We parted with a list of blog sites she recommended, and I got to see some of her art and art-in-progress--as well as snagging some pictures from her phone.  I always love getting glimpses of her journals.  She told me about the Midori Travel Journal and I signed up for Jane LaFazio's blog on making things out of cloth, paint, and paper.

http://janeville.blogspot.com/2012/03/stitch-ritual.html



 One of Nellie's projects she calls "Five Alive."  Every single morning, she emails five women who are living alone, sends them a quote or a tip or a photograph--then if she doesn't hear from each one by noon, she goes to their houses to check up on them and "make sure they are still alive."

Nellie's dolls

A self-portrait by one of Nellie's friends

Nellie and her friend in Florida




No comments: