Pages

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Suddenly....

Elena is not a baby anymore.

Suddenly, she seems like a Big Girl.  She walked Clyde all the way to Olmos Park today, in the hot sun, holding his leash with confidence.  She looked for water for him and talked gently to him: "It's okay, Buddy.  We're almost there."



She struts, she talks easily with strangers.

At the playground later this afternoon, after the Cambridge kids left school for the day, she found one possible friend in a seven-year-old named Susanna, and she began asking her questions:

"What's your name?  What's your mommy's name?  Where is your daddy?  Do you have a dog?  Do you want to pet Clyde?  He's really nice."

Susanna then began asking Elena questions: "Do you have any siblings?"

"Of course not!" Elena said--having no clue what siblings meant.

When Bonnie gave her a beautiful bracelet, she said, "Thank you, Bonnie!" and later said, "It was good to see Bonnie again.  She has the same name as my mommy--that's crazy!"

"Did she think I was her girl?" she asked me.

"No, she's a grandmother like I am and she knows you're my girl," I said.  "She just likes you."

At the end of the long hike, she took a longer bath.  This girl loves baths.  Looking at herself in the mirror, she asked me, "Do you think I look like a baby?"



No comments: