Pages

Monday, May 11, 2015

Speaking of Houses

A huge yellow cartoon dinosaur is demolishing Allen and Hudson's house across the street.  I'm riveted.  The claws reach down and rip off the roof in big strips of metal.  A stone wall and fireplace go down in less than a minute.  I watch as the garage goes--along with it the house number 610.  It is, as Will said (my son who's a firefighter) like a funeral, watching a house go down.  The mirrors on my walls are shaking.

Door frames and windows and walls are being heaped into a pile and the house, after two hours of work with the Big Cat, is now gone. A hundred-year-old house, the lives it used to shelter, gone.

A house like a life takes so long to build.  All our knowledge and experience can be gone in one fell swoop. Do I sound morbid?  I won't overworkf the metaphor.







No comments: