Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

From Blanco Cafe to YeYa's

Today I finally roused myself from  bed and movies and went on a field trip with Kate, Charlotte, and Gerlinde.  We had breakfast at the Blanco Cafe, then we visited a fabric warehouse Gerlinde wanted to show us, then we wound up at Feed the Pig and YeYa's looking at junk.  Charlotte drove--and does that girl know how to drive!  She drives with speed and sass!

Here we are, each posing in a sign frame at YeYa's.

Charlotte

Kate

Gerlinde

Me


I wanted to see the house where Charlotte grew up, on Rosewood near Trinity, so we did.  Then Kate showed us the house on Huisache where she lived 13 years ago, where I had visited back when the two Siamese cats were kitties.  I showed them where we lived in 1967--on the other end of Huisache.

Kate and Charlotte both grew up in San Antonio and it was fun to hear their memories of growing up here just before I moved here , 1967.  They both played at Landa Park and both remember certain places that are no longer here, but they went to different schools and didn't know each other then.  They are, however, like two peas in a proverbial pod--you'd think they were sisters.

Gerlinde grew up in Germany, I grew up in Georgia--but we both moved to San Antonio in the late Sixties.

I remembered walking the 8 blocks to SAC from the Huisache house, and I remembered that awful year when two men who dubbed themselves the Thieves of Bagdad terrorized our neighborhood, two of our best friends among their victims. Shortly after that, we moved to Helotes--where I lived until 1997 and where my kids grew up.

In spite of a stiff neck (getting a steroid shot for it next week), it was fun poking around this hot, humid city with  good friends today!






No comments: