Pages

Sunday, June 21, 2020

Sunday Moments

Before daylight

At 5 a.m. on a Sunday morning, I had an interesting conversation with one of my favorite window people, Persephone.

"Most people can't pronounce my name so I go by Percy," she told me.  No line at that hour, we had time to talk about books. She wrote down the title, The Bluest Eye.

She was an English major at North Texas but  gave out of money and had to come home.  "I made a foolish choice," she said.  "I should have stayed home and gone to junior college."

I told her what Carlene always says about wrong choices: "It's just tuition."  She brightened when I told her that.

She has seven siblings and her mother works at H.E.B.  She works nights at the window.  One of her brothers is named Demetrius, another Dorian Grey.

"Come back tomorrow," she said.  "I love talking to you."


Morning

I'm trying out my Arteza gouache colors by making a sample page of circles in each color.  Experimenting with various hues and shades and mixes.  Trying out getting more and less opacity.
Watching as the edges of one waterly circle bleeds into another.  Magic!

Why did I wait so long to open these tiny tubes of color???


Afternoon

Jerry's Art O'Rama, my favorite store, was having a paint sale.  I've been wanting to splurge on some Daniel Smith colors--the best of the best they say--so I bought three little tubes:

Indian Yellow

Transparent Red Oxide

Amazonite Genuine Green

I just love the names of colors, many of which are barely pronounceable.

George, the manager, gave me lots of information about weights of paper and told me something none of my online teachers had mentioned: taping paper to the table to prevent warping and buckling, then leaving it there until it's dry.















No comments: