Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2021

Brainpickings

 Maria Popova has been picking inspiration for us for fifteen years.  Her Brainpickings is, to me, one of the best things on the internet.  I don't read every single one, but I love that they are there, a library of reflections on books and art and science.  

This morning I was following the bread crumbs trail of the site, starting with Nina Simone and then meandering into a poet I'd never met before (Lisel Mueller) writing about life and death and immortality.  I was so moved by the reading of this poem that I wanted to share it with you all.  "What exists, exists so that it can be lost and become precious." 

https://www.brainpickings.org/2020/02/24/immortality-in-passing-lisel-mueller/?mc_cid=94584f4668&mc_eid=7940cd5ca2

I want to read more of the poems of this writer--who lived to be 96 and writes, as many poets do, about finding meaning in the ephemeral lives we get to live. 


You can subscribe if you like. You'll meet some extraordinary writers and artists and thinkers on this site. 

No comments: